Wayne M. Zell, Esq. is the president and founding member of Zell Law. He has devoted his legal, public accounting and business advisory career to counseling clients in a variety of industries, including investor groups, technology companies and non-profit organizations. His clients also include for-profit and non-profit executives, service providers and high-net-worth individuals.
Mr. Zell has extensive experience in complex estate planning and business planning matters. With regard to estate planning, Mr. Zell regularly advises clients in structuring and preparing intricate revocable and irrevocable trusts, basic estate planning (i.e., wills, medical directives and powers of attorney), family limited partnerships and limited liability companies, life insurance vehicles, charitable giving arrangements (including charitable lead and remainder trusts), private and public foundations and grant-making programs, asset protection planning, joint ventures with tax-exempt organizations, and compensation and equity incentive plans for executives.
In business planning matters, Mr. Zell represents the owners of closely-held businesses and non-profits on general business formation and operations, tax and succession planning matters, mergers and acquisitions, and executive compensation and CEO/founder issues.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Zell practiced as an attorney and as a CPA with a variety of law firms and public accounting firms. He also served as General Counsel and CFO of YellowBrix, Inc., an internet content provider and enterprise software developer. He was a Senior Manager in the Washington National Tax Service Office of Price Waterhouse, specializing in tax-exempt organizations and flow-through entities, including partnerships, limited liability companies and trusts, and he has practiced as a certified public accountant since 1980.
Mr. Zell is admitted to practice as an attorney in Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia. He currently serves on the Board of Directors, Governance Committee and Executive Committee of Northern Virginia Family Service. He also serves as a member of the Cornerstone Board at the McIntire School of Commerce at the University of Virginia.
Mr. Zell is an active speaker and writer on estate planning, business planning, and tax planning topics. For more detailed content authored by Mr. Zell, please see the firm’s videos and podcasts.
Wayne M. Zell has received an AV rating, the highest rating granted by Martindale-Hubbell, the preeminent law directory and attorney rating service. Since 2013, Mr. Zell has also been recognized as one of the Best Lawyers in America for Taxation. He lives in Reston, Virginia, with his beautiful wife, Lorri, and their four dogs (his four amazing kids are grown up and launching).
- Estate Planning 45%
- Business Planning 45%
- Tax Planning 10%
- The College of William and Mary, Marshall-Wythe School of Law, Williamsburg, Virginia
- J.D. - 1985
- Honors: Dean's List
- Honors: BNA Law Student Award
- Major: Law
- University of Virginia, McIntire School of Commerce, Charlottesville, Virginia
- B.S. - 1980
- Honors: Dean's List
- Honors: With Distinction
- Major: Commerce (Concentration in Accounting)
- Virginia, 1996
- Maryland, 1985
- U.S. Tax Court, 1985
- District of Columbia, 1988
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 1987
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland, 1987
- Odin, Feldman & Pittleman, P.C., Shareholder, 2011 -2018
- Pagnato Karp Partners, LLC, Chief Legal Officer, 2018 – 2019
- BNA Law Student Award- 1985
- AV Rated, Martindale-Hubbell: 1996 - Present
- Best Lawyers in America- Tax Law: 2013 - Present
- Virginia Nonprofit Organizations, NBI Seminars - 2005
- Advanced Estate Planning, Lorman Education Services - 2006
- Estate Planning (CFP Accreditation), Bryant University / UBS - 2006
- Northern Virginia Family Service: Governance Committee, Chair, 2017 - Present
- Northern Virginia Family Service: Executive Committee, Board Member, 2017 - Present
- McIntire School of Commerce at the University of Virginia, Cornerstone Board Member, 2010 - Present
- Mr. Zell is an active speaker and writer on estate planning, business planning, and tax planning topics.
- For more detailed content authored by Mr. Zell, please visit www.zelllaw.com.
- Phi Delta Theta
- Certified Public Accountant, VSCPA, MACPA, 1980
- AICPA, Member, 1982 to Present
- DC Bar Association, Member, 1988 to Present
- American Bar Association, Member, 1986 to Present
- Virginia State Bar Association, Member, 1996 to Present
- Maryland State Bar Association, Member, 1986 to Present
- Managing Partner